This article is just a quick overview of the process and there are many books on publishing that offer greater detail. Why publish your book on Amazon? Some of the basics reasons on why you would want to go this route are listed by Amazon themselves:
- Free File Conversion: Upload your manuscript and convert it into a Kindle eBook for free.
- Track Worldwide Sales: Track sales as they happen and using Amazons real-time insights to grow your audience.
- Marketing Tools: Benefit from Amazon’s marketing tools and global distribution. Enrolling in KDP Select gets more promotional benefits.he outcome and the response that the readers have on a given book.
The first step in publishing a book on Amazon requires that the author prepares a draft material in whichever program that he or she is used to. You can use Microsoft word, Scrivener or Open Office among other programs. However, it is important to note that each program produces a different quality when the material is converted for the purposes of reading on Kindle devices. When a writer uploads the draft material, the manuscript is automatically converted to suit the standards demanded by Kindle. ( Scrivener has a feature that allows you to convert to kindle format before hand)
KDP supports many formats, but these produce the most consistent results when converted for reading on Kindle devices and apps:
Word (DOC / DOCX)
Loading up your Book
For those who already have an account on Kindle, you can log in and start the publishing process, for those who don’t have an account yet can sign up free and get a new account. After accessing the account, the dashboard has an option for new projects. New titles refer to the new work that is to be published. This should be the first step upon opening the account or logging in.
The next step introduces you to the KDP select. KDP select is a feature of Amazon that when chosen acts like a binding mutual agreement between the author and Amazon. When you choose to enroll your book in KDP Select, you’re committing to make the digital format of that book available exclusively through KDP. There are various benefits for this option for instance, the chances of earning more money increases when the book is exclusively handled by Kindle. Additionally, the book has the ability of reaching a wider audience and hence a maximization of the sales potential. Most new authors settle for this option until they have learned the ropes of publishing or until they have made a name that is recognizable in the market.
Why Enroll in KDP Select?
- Earn higher royalties
- Earn your share of the KDP Select Global Fund when customers read your books from Kindle Unlimited and the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library. Plus, earn 70% royalty for sales to customers in Japan, India, Brazil and Mexico.
- Maximize your book’s sales potential
- Choose between two great promotional tools: Kindle Countdown Deals, time-bound promotional discounting for your book while earning royalties; or Free Book Promotion where readers worldwide can get your book free for a limited time.
- Reach a new audience
- Help readers discover your books by making them available through Kindle Unlimited in the U.S, U.K., Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Brazil, Mexico, Canada, India, and Japan, and the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library (KOLL) in the U.S, U.K., Germany, France, and Japan.
Additionally, you are required to enter the book title and subtitle. These are majorly important in hinting to the readers what they should expect from the book should they decide to read it. It is imperative that you chooses the right words when deciding on the title of a book as it should catch a reader’s interests. After the title, then provide the book description. This is also one point where the author must appeal to the interests of the audience after all, they are the ones who will read and buy. Depending on the genre, the book description should inherently create an interest in the reader.
The next step would involve listing the contributors in the book. This is only done when a book has been co-authored although some people have often include the names of the editors as well. The author should also verify publishing rights by clicking on the right tab under ‘public rights’. The verification implies that the author reserves all the publishing rights and no one else can access the book without author’s consent. The author would also be required to categorize the book by picking categories in which the book can be classified especially when readers are looking for books to read.
The author can now create a book cover or upload one, select a digital management rights option, choose publishing territories and after checking all the remaining boxes, publish. The book will be available in within 12 hours.